Full Job Description
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we’re passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world’s greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer II – Mechanical
For design engineers who demonstrate a strong aptitude and desire for MLI design, opportunities exist to increase your role within the center’s operations. Roles will provide hands-on experience with Production and Project engineering functions and help build a more complete understanding of how aerospace products are evolved from beginning design phase to launch support.
What You’ll Do:
- The MLI Center has the responsibility for end-to-end management of all MLI design, production, test, and supply chain functions necessary to meet program cost, schedule, and technical objectives.
- Responsible for the successful mechanical design and installation of standard and high performance MLI products for flight and test applications to programs.
- Work closely with the center’s core members in the development and design of a program’s MLI requirements.
- Generate 3D models and 2D detail design drawings of MLI to be used as a design tool and to show MLI envelopes, interferences, and critical thermal design information.
- Generate 2D flat patterns of the finished and approved 3D MLI models.
- Work in an IPT design environment with other engineering disciplines such as Systems, Project, Production, M&P, Quality, and Thermal engineering.
- Provide technical support to Mylar Technicians for both fabrication and installation.
- Responsible for meeting program cost, schedule, and technical requirements.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred.
- Willingness to travel for offsite installation operations and support.
- Ability to work effectively with customer counterparts.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks.
- Knowledge of MLI design layout and fabrication preferred.
- Demonstrated creativity in MLI design.
- Strong communicative skills and the ability to exercise them in a technical environment.
- MLI design experience preferred.
- Ability to be a team player, exhibit a positive working attitude, and a willingness to learn.
- Ability to conceptualize the transition of an MLI design from a 3D model to a 2D flat pattern.
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings when required.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team environment.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $102,000 – $127,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.