Full Job Description
Facilities Mechanical Engineer
CO – Golden
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado is the nation’s primary laboratory for research and development of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
Our planet needs us! Learn about NREL’s critical objectives, and
- Serve as a technical resource in Mechanical engineering.
- Conduct regular updates to the Architecture and Engineering Support Design Guidelines, Master Construction Specifications, and engineering best practices for area of expertise.
- Evaluate current infrastructure capacity to determine and establish future expansion capabilities and needs.
- Assist ESH&Q, Facility Managers, and other personnel with modifying lab level procedures and hazard assessments where needed.
- PMC Project Support:
- Participate in the review and approval process for all internal and external designs involving Mechanical engineering elements prior to acceptance by NREL as Issued For Construction (IFC) documents to ensure compliance with user needs, NREL Design Guidelines, applicable codes, constructability, and best practices.
- Assist Project Managers with scope definition and statements of work for construction projects involving Mechanical engineering elements.
- Review RFIs, ASIs, shop drawings, product submittals and coordination drawings for Mechanical engineering project elements.
- Attend construction meetings, site observations, and final punch walks providing technical guidance for area of expertise.
- Work Orders:
- Work with inhouse Architecture and Engineering Support team to develop independent cost estimates for projects in various stages of planning and execution.
- Hold stakeholder meetings to assist researchers with defining project scope and budget for future project requests.
- Prepare internal construction drawings, specifications, calculations and project cost estimates for design and construction projects as assigned by Engineering Team Leader.
- Multi-disciplinary engineering experience with broad knowledge of facility and building systems and structures, relevant building codes, and supporting facility and site infrastructure (utility distribution systems, site improvements, etc.) for commercial and industrial facilities.
- Knowledge of standard construction techniques and practices including experience with field observation of construction activities.
- Experience with performing engineering designs as well as working with A/E consultants/subcontractors.
Relevant Bachelor’s Degree and 5 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience. Or, relevant Master’s Degree and 3 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience. Or, relevant PhD or equivalent relevant education/experience. Or, relevant JD or equivalent relevant education/experience. Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines. Considerable knowledge of laws, regulations, principles, procedures and practices related to specific field. Strong leadership, project management and problem solving skills. Ability to use various computer software programs.
- Use knowledge, training, and experience to STOP WORK where necessary to protect users, NREL personnel, Subcontractors, and the facility itself.
- Maintain knowledge of legal and ethical engineering issues and practices.
- Strong team member, able to act as a strong resource in expertise area for other Engineers, Architects, and Project Managers.
- Remain current with knowledge of industry governing laws, regulations, codes and standards.
- Strong critical thinking, decision making and problem solving/conflict resolution skills.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
Job Profile: Professional III / Annual Salary Range: $77,600 – $139,700
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; short*- and long-term disability insurance; pension benefits*; 403(b) Employee Savings Plan with employer match*; life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance; personal time off (PTO) and sick leave; paid holidays; and tuition reimbursement*. NREL employees may be eligible for, but are not guaranteed, performance-, merit-, and achievement- based awards that include a monetary component. Some positions may be eligible for relocation expense reimbursement. Limited-term positions are not eligible for long-term disability or tuition reimbursement.
- Based on eligibility rules