Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we’re passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world’s greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Payload Project Engineer I
Join Ball Aerospace as a Payload Test Systems Project Engineer! In this role, you will provide ongoing inputs on the Assembly, Integration &Test (AI&T) scope of work, schedule, and cost to the Program Management Office: including staffing forecasts and labor hours, and other direct costs for executing Integration & Test (I&T) activities.
What You’ll Do:
- Work in a fast-paced team environment with other Systems Engineering Integration and Test (SEIT) engineers to integrate and test payload hardware.
- Manage the execution of verification testing, including functional, performance and environmental testing on payload products; lead engineers of all experience levels on successfully executing through a challenging AI&T campaign.
- Use off-the-shelf and custom Special Test Equipment to test and troubleshoot spaceflight payload hardware.
- Take a leadership role, working with engineers of other disciplines to develop test sets tailored for the verification of payload functional and environmental performance requirements.
- Write, review, update, and review integration and test procedures as required by payload AI&T campaigns.
- Mentor and coach junior engineers on preparing test procedures.
- Maintain fabrication and test engineering logs, records and author test summary reports.
- Work with internal company contacts, outside suppliers and customers for technical exchanges of information; take a prominent role coordinating with customers and suppliers for program, design, and peer reviews.
- Provide technical oversight and support to teams of engineers and technicians.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree(s) in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, Thermal Engineering preferred.
- Experience in the design, development, and validation of test sets in cleanroom, laboratory, and/or production environments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and work well in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools (such as Excel, SharePoint, Outlook, Word, et. al).
- All of the following skills/experiences preferred:
- Test experience using software test automation applications and tools (such as: COSMOS and/or LabVIEW).
- Experience working in an ISO Class 7/8 cleanrooms in proximity to senstive electro-optic devices.
- Aerospace or military experience.
- Experience in the testing of spaceflight instruments or related aerospace, electrical, mechanical, optical, or thermal hardware, components and systems.
Flexible On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site for three or more days per work week. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $127,500 – $160,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.