Full Job Description
This is a field-based position that provides on-site customer support for PacBio’s revolutionary new third generation DNA sequencing platform. This person will install equipment at customer sites, ensure it meets performance specifications, and train operators on its use. They will be responsible for the ongoing repair, maintenance and upgrade of the instrument at multiple customer locations. Consistent with a start-up environment this position will require flexibility in job responsibilities, travel and assignments. The successful candidate will have superior customer management and technical skills in both engineering and science disciplines. They must be able to function independently but also work closely with development, manufacturing, and field sales and support teams. This will require a highly motivated individual, dedicated to deliver a best-in-class service experience to our customers. The position will entail several days per week of onsite instrument support at PNW facilities.
- Perform installation, maintenance, upgrade and repair of Pacific Biosciences equipment at customer locations.
- Submit timely documentation of service activities and expenses.
- Maintain accurate and reliable service spare parts inventory.
- Work closely with sales and field application specialists to ensure customer expectations are being met.
- Mentor and train new and less experienced service engineers.
- Develop and improve operating procedures and processes.
- Contribute to knowledge base in a timely manner to share problems and solutions with other Field Service Engineers.
- Provide feedback, reports and analysis of field issues to product teams and service management.
- Write and edit service documentation for alignment, replacement, and upgrade procedures.
- The position will require several days per week of onsite instrument support at PNW customer facilities.
- All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
Things to expect:
- Navigate public transportation and/or walking distances up to a mile while carrying tools in a rolling case or backpack (40-50 lbs.)
- Sitting and/or standing for long periods of time
- Crawling, kneeling, and maneuvering around laboratory equipment and benches
- Unpacking, lifting, moving large pieces of equipment from the ground to shoulder height
- Use small hand tools requiring fine motor skills
- Wear full PPE or as required by the facility
- BA or BS in Engineering or Science or equivalent Military or other experience.
- Minimum of two to five years servicing or supporting complex electromechanical/chemical equipment.
- Knowledge of biochemistry, biology and/or other life sciences.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Extensive travel required.
- Proficient with computer software and hardware, including Windows and Linux OS, real-time processing systems, disk arrays and Ethernet architecture.
- Valid drivers license with good driving record.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience with life sciences instrumentation, especially DNA sequencing technology, a significant plus.
- Ability to lift 40lbs above your shoulder height
- Ability to lift 75lbs from the ground to unpack boxes
$108,800.00 – $147,200.00
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
To ensure the health and safety of all PacBio employees and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview experience.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at PacBio. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. PacBio does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PacBio employees or any other company location. PacBio is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.