Full Job Description
The Senior Project Engineer is tasked with developing project management skills to assume project responsibility and is accountable for the success of part of a project with direction from the project manager.
The Senior Project Engineer may supervise several project personnel to achieve project objectives. They are responsible for coordinating with other parts of the organization and report directly to project management. The Senior Project Engineer may act as deputy Project Management and be able to take over for the PM at a certain stage of the project.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and review inputs from the various Engineering disciplines, functional departments, and sub-contractors contributing to the Engineering portion of a project
- Coordinate and ensure the generation of deliverables, reports, and procedures required for the engineering portion of the project
- Support management of the Engineering portion of the project as directed by the Project Engineering Manager
- Use discipline expertise and project experience to solve complex problems; take a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions
- Manage own time to meet objectives; forecast and plan resource requirements
- Assist Project Engineering Manager in planning, organizing, coordinating, and controlling small projects or the Engineering portion of a larger project by establishing policies, procedures, systems, and requirements
- Act as a liaison between Customer and Project Engineering Manager and Engineering Team, including third-party agencies and subcontractors
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of the Engineering Project Execution Plan (PEP)
- Assist in the preparation of the work-sharing Interface Plan & Scope Split Matrix. Ensure all scopes of work are addressed, handover points are understood and agreed upon, and that there are no scope gaps or overlaps between the work-sharing offices and any subcontractors
- Review the Project Plan along with the project planner and prepare subcontract scope packages for any work that is required to be subcontracted
- Attend Engineering Project Readiness reviews (as required)
- Coordinate and become familiar with all inputs and changes to the Engineering Project Plan, the scope of work, drawings, and specifications. Facilitate logging and evaluating impacts of all changes in the Desk Top Change Management System (DTCMS)
- Review any scope of work documents produced by the respective functional departments and identify changes impacting Engineering, update the Engineering Scope of Work documents as required/agreed, and assist in the preparation of change orders
- Coordinate information between Engineering and other functions (such as Fabrication, Marine, etc.) to ensure timely receipt and delivery of necessary design inputs
- Ensure that registers of all documents received by Engineering as well as sent are maintained and updated by Document Control inclusive of timely distribution to all concerned personnel, departments, other entities, and subcontractor(s) as necessary
- Document substantive communications (communications that result in significant decisions or assignment of actions), and forward copies to the Engineering Project Manager
- Facilitate the development and monitor closeout of technical queries to obtain missing information, clarify work scope, and maintain preferred McDermott procedures, specifications, standards, practices, and operational requirement
- Coordinate and progress site queries related to subcontracted works
- Review project schedule and fabrication schedule about construction sequence, milestones, and engineering scope, checking for alignment
- Attend Weekly Progress Meetings (internal as well as with Customers) and prepare the Minutes of Meetings
- Monitor work-sharing team meetings, attending as necessary
- Coordinate and ensure that Engineering and associated Design work, including weight control information and necessary updates, are carried out by the respective discipline personnel by the specifications and schedule
- Ensure all procedures and calculations are submitted to the Customer for review and approval by the contract. Monitor their approvals with the Customer
- Coordinate with the Project Quality Manager to ensure that the Engineering work is being performed per the Quality plans and that all necessary inspections and certifications are available for the final documentation package
- Coordinate with the Project Procurement Manager/Coordinator to ensure that specifications, TBEs, vendor data expediting, and vendor data approvals required to be provided by Engineering are delivered per schedule, resolving technical queries as required
- Coordinate with senior production engineers and offshore operations engineers frequently to understand the progress of work activities on the project, identifying constraints related to Engineering deliverables and facilitating solutions
- Keep the Project Engineering Manager apprised of all activities and concerns, technical, budgetary, and manpower related
- Monitor work in progress and compile weekly/monthly reports on the status of each activity
- Gather and assemble inputs for actual, planning, and forecasting progress reports including associated productivity
- Monitor KPI measurement results and alert Discipline Leads as necessary to take timely corrective action to avoid negative consequences to the project
- Participate in safety/operability/reliability studies and workshops, as necessary
- Participate in 3D model reviews, as necessary
- Coordinate and participate in Constructability reviews, as necessary
- Travel as necessary to attend Customer and project meetings and to facilitate the resolution of Engineering interface issues, including traveling to other Engineering offices, Fabrication yards, and Offshore
- Attend Technical Quality Audit reviews, as necessary
Essential Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction, and/or Project Management
- Preferably Registered Professional Engineer or member of a professional engineering society
- 5-8 years of engineering discipline experience with a major contractor or consultant in an office primarily performing detail engineering
- Good working knowledge of discipline design techniques, analysis methods, and general workflow.
- General knowledge of the theory, content, and application of statutory codes and guidelines as applicable
Company Overview and Core Values:
McDermott is a premier, fully integrated provider of technology, engineering and construction solutions to the energy industry. For more than a century, customers have trusted McDermott to design and build end-to-end infrastructure and technology solutions—from the wellhead to the storage tank—to transport and transform oil and gas into the products the world needs today.
At McDermott, we hold all employees accountable to follow our 5 core values.
- Integrity – we maintain a firm adherence to legal and ethical conduct.
- One Team – we are one company, where everyone is equally important.
- Go Beyond – we seek courageous and creative solutions.
- Well-Being – we promote all forms of well-being.
- Commitment – we are reliable and dependable in delivering quality solutions.