Full Job Description
Transport for NSW keeps our State moving by providing safe, integrated and efficient transport systems. We put our customers at the centre of everything we do – and we do a lot. We connect people, communities and industry and manage how they use our road, rail and maritime networks and services, and even active modes like walking and cycling. The work we do connects the journeys you take every day.
We are a state government organisation made up of more than 28,000 people and we’re in the middle of delivering the largest transport infrastructure program in Australia’s history. We work across planning, policy and procurement, harnessing data and technology to develop smarter and more adaptive transport solutions.
That means job opportunities in metropolitan and regional areas across NSW – and you have the chance to be part of creating a lasting legacy that will benefit generations to come.
Find out more about Transport for NSW
About IT at TfNSW
IT for Transport provides the tools, information and services that enable 30,000 employees to deliver a smart and efficient transport network. We bring the future to our people by delivering innovative solutions and minimising business disruptions, building an engaged and connected workforce through tech-enablement. This is an exciting time to join the team, with a committed annual investment of $700m for progressive technology projects including bots, apps, AI solutions, autonomous 3D mapping drones, cybersecurity and transforming cameras across our network.
Transport for New South Wales is seeking for a Senior Software Engineer (Front End Developer) to join the Digital Solutions team within the IT section of Corporate Services Division of TfNSW. This role is a permanent full time and is based at Macquarie Park with flexible work arrangements.
You will be involved in real time development experience on website frontend, especially on public facing websites with high traffic volumes.
This role is a permanent full time based at Macquarie Park with flexible work options.
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Work in Agile based projects as part of scrum teams.
- Deliver technical expertise, to a diverse range of stakeholders, to support the operation of Transport applications, including providing technical support.
- Influence and deliver quality software for software projects by undertaking all aspects of the software development life cycle to meet development stream objectives.
- Analyse and translate both functional and non-functional user requirements to convert and create quality software design and system specifications.
- Contribute and develop quality software by creating software feature design specifications to deliver quality software solutions.
- Conduct verification, debugging and testing in a local environment to deliver stable and functional software that performs to documented requirements.
- Maintain accurate system bug tracking data and all related systems documents to monitor their compliance to agreed quality standards.
- Undertake appropriate testing, using suitable tools for diagnosing and rectifying issues, and support application software releases and development updates to guarantee performance, functionality and reliability objectives are met.
The role may/will have a variable number of direct and indirect reports depending on business/ project requirements.
To be successful in the role;
- Demonstrated development experience on website frontend, especially on public facing websites with high traffic volumes.
- Extensive experience working with contemporary JS frameworks, libraries (React, Angular, Nodejs etc).
- Experience building mobile-first, responsive websites.
- Experience with CSS/SCSS/SASS and styled component in React.
- Experience with tools such as NPM/Yarn, GIT, Jest etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A good understanding of website accessibility/usability.
- Understanding/Experience of Docker based web application is a bonus.
- Experience with UI/UX design tools like Sketch/Figma etc.
- Understanding and experience of TDD approaches to development.
- Experience working on Agile projects, preferably using Scrum.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with GraphQL will be a great bonus.
- A proactive and team oriented professional.
- Excellent time management skills.
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this position is Transport Grade 9 ($138,670 – $155,309) plus 10% superannuation and annual leave loading.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please answer all questions within the online application process and submit a resume.
We’re an inclusive and flexible workplace
Here at Transport, we want our workforce to reflect the communities we serve by being an inclusive, diverse and flexible place for all our people.
We offer a range of flexible work and leave options for our people. These options depend on your role and the work you do. Some of the ways our people work flexibly include a hybrid mix of virtual and in-person collaboration, staggering work hours, or even allocating extra hours worked towards a day off from time to time. We also offer more structured flexible agreements and tailored hybrid options for people who live regionally. We’re proud to be recognised as a FlexReady Certified employer, a Family Inclusive Workplace and winners of the ‘Best Remote Work Strategy’ at the Australian HR Awards 2022.
We want to ensure that employees living with disability, as well as those providing care, are supported. Visit Supporting people with disability to learn more about our initiatives and requesting recruitment and workplace adjustments.
Please contact the Talent Specialist if you’d like to arrange any adjustments to how you interact with us throughout the recruitment process or would like to discuss flexible work options.