Full Job Description
Expected duration12 months with a possibility of an extension
Duties and Responsibilities
The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) sets international Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) for aviation safety, air navigation, security, and environmental protection. To that effect, ICAO is a knowledge-based organization engaged in developing intellectual property. The Revenue and Product Development (RPM) Section is part of the Technical Cooperation Bureau (TCB) and is focused on the organization’s revenue-generating activities. The portfolio of revenue-generating activities includes publications, periodicals, databases, websites, training, printing, and events. The revenues generated by these activities are required to promote ICAO’s Strategic Objectives and carry out related Programme Support. The Section is responsible for the overall strategic planning, stakeholders’ collaboration, coordination, promotion, and distribution of these sellable products in close coordination with the other Bureaus/Offices of the Organization.The Product Management Unit (PTM) is responsible for identifying, analysing and implementing revenue-generating opportunities in ICAO. Contained within this team is the marketing team, which is responsible for marketing ICAO products, services, and events.
Under the Head, Product Management Unit, the Graphic Designer will work as part of the marketing team to develop and deliver designs for branding, marketing, sales and promotional materials for ICAO events, products, and services. The Graphic Designer will work on a wide range of projects and media, using various software programs to visualize and develop innovative graphic designs that meet organizational goals.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Function 1 (incl. expected results)
Develops ICAO branding, achieving results such as:
- Researches the identity and positioning of ICAO products, service, or business units that are in need of branding initiatives;
- Designs or redesigns the visual identity for ICAO products, services, or business units;
- Develop and understand the strategy briefing or business case through research into the subject area, understanding the internal client’s objectives;
- Obtain input from Head, Product Management, and Chief, Communications, to ensure designs meet organizational standards and brand expectations, express ideas accurately, and represent ICAO appropriately;
- Work independently as well as cooperatively with design team, marketing, and other internal stakeholders to meet deadlines, stay within budget and schedule of the design project;
- Design and update brand book for each branding exercise completed.
Function 2 (incl. expected results)
Provides graphic design and video support for the UnitingAviation.com and ICAO TV platforms, achieving results such as:
- Create rich media to support the UnitingAviation.com and ICAO TV platforms;
- Design and develop media kits and sales support collateral to promote sponsorship opportunities on UnitingAviation.com and ICAO TV;
- Design and coordinate the distribution of the ICAO UnitingAviation.com bi-monthly newsletter;
- Design and coordinate the distribution of the ICAO Monthly Monitor newsletter from the Air Transport Bureau;
- Design and coordinate email marketing promotions to past advertisers and media partners;
- Design and coordinate email newsletter promoting content on ICAO TV to platform subscribers;
- Design and coordinate email marketing promotions to potential advertisers and media partners;
- Produce and edit videos for ICAO TV based on expert interviews, product promotions, and ICAO events.
Function 3 (incl. expected results)
Develops and designs new commercial publications, achieving results such as:
- Design appealing and progressive cover designs for publications such as the World Civil Aviation Report and ICAO States Today;
- Design innovative print and digital commercial publication layouts;
- Work with product managers, editors, and subject matter experts to deliver critical publications such as, but not limited to, the World Civil Aviation Report and ICAO States Today;
- Work with the print production unit to leverage new and innovative print product outputs and effects;
- Research new digital publication formats and systems for possible full transition of publications like the World Civil Aviation Report to digital only environments.
Function 4 (incl. expected results)
Develops and designs marketing, sales, and promotional material for ICAO events, achieving results such as:
- Conceptualize event branding material and assist in selecting, designing or composing an image to represent events and develop a brand manual accordingly;
- Develop marketing kits consisting of interactive web banners, flyers, email signatures, landing pages, email marketing campaigns and motion graphics videos;
- Provide graphic design support for the setup of event website and online registration;
- Design sales support material, including email signatures, supporting materials for missions such as flyers and brochures, sponsorship and exhibition forms, sales kits, and event calendars;
- Provide design support for the creation of email templates required to use email marketing automation for event promotions;
- Support ICAO virtual events in the creation of digital materials for ICAO TV and other digital platforms;
- Develop event programmes, content for ICAO event apps, booth designs and onsite branding material (banners, graphics for monitors, etc.);
- Participate in meetings to ensure the smooth implementation of promotional activities for events;
- Work on other activities pertaining to event promotions.
Function 5 (incl. expected results)
Provide graphic design support for ICAO products in terms of branding initiatives and promotional activities, achieving results such as:
- Conceptualize, design, and implement creative graphics following campaigns’ messages while ensuring product’s brand is accurately represented;
- Work with marketers and business analysts to develop banners and emails to promote products from https://store.icao.int/;
- Assist suppliers by providing ICAO’s style guide, adapted and approved, when necessary
- Work with marketers and product managers to develop marketing materials consisting of visuals for email marketing campaigns newsletters, interactive web banners, social media posts, banners, brochures, landing pages, and motion graphics videos;
- Provide design support for the creation of email templates;
- Ensure that the overall ICAO brand guidelines are respected;
- Manage selection of stock photography vendor selection and archiving of purchased assets.
Function 6 (incl. expected results)
Performs other related duties as assigned.
A first-level university degree in graphic design or fine arts.Desirable
A second-level university degree in a related field is an asset. Additional professional certificates in design, web development, and video production are assets.
Professional experience and knowledge:
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience as a graphic designer in the field of corporate branding, product branding, user experience, user interface (UI / UX), digital product design and digital marketing;
- Proficient in the use of Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Premiere;
- Experience with typesetting and production of publications using InDesign;
- Experience in video editing and production;
- Knowledge of web design standards and best practices;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment;
- Strong conceptual thinking;
- Typography knowledge;
- Good time management skills and ability to handle rigid deadlines and revisions.
- Knowledge of HTML5 and CSS;
- Knowledge of WordPress CMS;
- Experience using Adobe After Effects to produce motion graphics videos is an asset;
- Understanding of aviation-related customer needs and requirements.
Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
A working knowledge of a second language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
Additional InformationIt should be noted that this consultancy is to be filled for an initial period of twelve (12) months with a possibility of an extension. This is a full-time position.
Please note that the monthly rate for Band B varies from CAD 5,097 to CAD 8,122 per month.
No FeeTHE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.