Full Job Description
Town of Caledon is a dynamic municipality that successfully balances urban, rural, and agricultural communities. Our energetic staff are guided by our core values that create an environment for continuous improvement and customer service excellence.
In addition to offering exciting career opportunities, the Town also provides a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Come see how you can make a difference.
This role is responsible for independently managing environmental planning projects, conducting environmental review of all types of development applications, undertaking research and analysis, and preparing/presenting reports on behalf of the Department. As the Senior Planner, Environmental Planning you will perform the following duties, including but not limited to:
- Conduct independent data collection, research, and analysis on a range of environmental planning matters to ensure conformity with the Planning Act, the Provincial Policy Statement, applicable provincial plans, and the Peel Region Official Plan.
- Project manage environmental policy planning and aggregate policy studies, and assist external consultants retained by the Town to conduct environmental planning reviews.
- Review all types of development applications from an environmental/ecological perspective and prepare comments and recommendations.
- Prepare and present reports with recommendations to Council related to both environmental planning and development matters.
- Support Development Engineering staff in the review/preparation of Subwatershed Studies, and Master Environmental Servicing Plans from an environmental planning/ecological perspective, and Energy and Environment staff in implementing Green Development Standards and sustainability programs/plans.
- Present studies, policies, and applications at Public Information Meetings.
- Review policy initiatives of other agencies to protect and advance the Town’s interest.
- Prepare evidence for Municipal Boards and Tribunals with minimal supervision and represent the Town of Caledon at substantive hearings on matters assigned by the Planning Management Team .
- Represent the Department at meetings with Provincial, Regional, Municipal, and Conservation Authority staff, as well as Niagara Escarpment Commission hearings, Committee of Adjustment hearings, public meetings, Council meetings etc.
- Coordinate public consultation meetings pertaining to environmental planning matters and present initiatives to interest groups, stakeholders, and the public.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking an enthusiastic planning professional with a post-secondary degree in Ecology, Environmental Science, Environmental Planning, or a closely related field and is a Registered Professional Planner (RPP) with the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI), and/or with the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP). Our ideal candidate has a minimum 7 years’ experience in ecology/environmental planning, including municipal or conservation authority experience in review of environmental studies prepared in support of development applications.
Our ideal candidate has a thorough knowledge of the Ontario Planning Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Aggregate Resources Act, Conservation Authorities Act, Species at Risk Act, Ecological Land Classification System, Greenbelt Plan, Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan, and other relevant Provincial and Federal regulations and guidelines. Our ideal candidate also has experience at the Ontario Land Tribunal or other Boards and/or Tribunals and is proficient in MS Office applications and computer-based planning software.
We are seeking an individual with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing, excellent interpersonal skills, public facilitation and conflict resolution skills, and demonstrated ability to exercise significant discretion and sensitivity involving occasional access to confidential data.
The successful candidate for Senior Planner, Environmental will be required to work a flexible schedule, including in the office, remotely and after hours (as required).
This position offers a salary range of $103,193.01 – $126,464.06 (2022 rate) plus a competitive benefit package.
Satisfactory passing of a criminal record check, and proof of qualifications will be required of any successful candidate(s) for this position.