Full Job Description
What we are offering
The Met Office is delighted to open our advertising for a number of progressive Industrial Placements, which will commence from July 2023 until July 2024.
We are looking for an exceptional Software Developer Industrial Placement 2023 to help us make a difference to our planet.
Our Software Developer Industrial Placement 2023 will work a hybrid pattern of homeworking and suggest one day a week but at a minimum, once a month in Exeter HQ . You will receive a salary of £20,048 in line with planned increase to National Living Wage from April 2023, plus amazing benefits.
Why should I choose the Met Office?
- Flexible hours and hybrid working
- Annual Leave of 27.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) and an option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave
- Access to discounted shopping on a range of retail, leisure and lifestyle categories
Who we are
Right across the world, every single day, people make decisions based on the weather. We have a strong purpose and provide critical weather services and world-leading climate science, helping people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive.
In Transport Team, we deliver high quality, performant, resilient, solutions using cutting edge cloud-based technology to deliver world leading scientific weather data to met the needs of our customers. For example as one of two world area forecast centres, our aviation data sets are used by the aviation industry for situational awareness and to calculate safe and efficient flight plans.
You will have the opportunity to work with a software development team developing your skills and putting what you have learnt into practice
Our exceptional people deliver scientific, technological and operational expertise, working together to deliver extraordinary impact, making us one of the most trusted forecasters in the world.
Our Industrial Placement programme offers ambitious and capable undergraduates the opportunity to gain valuable experience working alongside diverse and highly skilled experts in their field. You’ll be working on projects that really matter and will make a difference. Whilst the placement is a temporary position until July 2024, there is potential for it to develop into an opportunity to join our Graduate programme after you finish your studies.
- We’re a force for good – focusing on our environmental and social impact
- We’re experts by nature – always learning and developing to do things better
- We live and breathe it – putting our purpose at the heart of decision-making
- We’re better together – understanding partnerships and inclusivity make us greater
- We keep evolving – pushing boundaries to make tomorrow better for our customers
Find out more about our values – https://bit.ly/3fokaRD
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Met Office on a 12-month Year In Industry placement, developing your skills and knowledge and ensuring you gain the most value possible from your experience with us. You will have the opportunity to network with our cohort of Industrial Placement all over the Met Office and understand what career opportunities we can offer you after you graduate.
As our Software Developer Industrial Placement 2023 , your key duties will be to:
- Design, code, test and document software solutions, and provides application support for the production services they build.
- Increases the quality and pace of delivery of their team by utilising a standard technology toolset to automate testing, deployment etc.
- Take an active role in software development events.
- Works with other disciplines to understand what needs to be built
- Contributes to the creation of technology and process standards, pro-actively researching and recommending the use of technology to help the work of the department.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- You are studying for an undergraduate degree with a significant numeracy, science and/or IT element.
- You can design, code, test, correct and document simple programs or scripts under the direction of others.
- You can explain the most important principles of coding best practices and your experience in applying them. (expert by nature)
- You can talk about the process of integrating systems and the challenges of designing, building and testing interfaces between systems.
- You’re a team player and you can assist as part of a team in the design of systems. (better together)
How to apply
If you share our values, we’d love to hear from you. Please clink the link below and complete the application form, making sure to include how you meet each of the criteria above.
We are accepting applications until 29/01/2023 at 23:59 with interviews commencing between 06/03/2023 . You will hear from us once the closing date has passed. Please note we often receive a high volume of applications but we will contact everyone who applies. Our interviews are taking place remotely via Microsoft Teams.
If successful, please note we are unable to offer expenses for travel to your normal place of work. Please ask at interview if you would like extra clarity on how often this requirement is likely to be.
How we can help
If you are considering applying and need assistance to do so, please contact us via . You can request adjustments either within your application or by contacting us. Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity.
You can select in your application to be considered under the Disability Confident (Guaranteed Interview) Scheme. To be invited to interview/assessment under this scheme, your application must meet the essential criteria for the role.
We are an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from those with all protected characteristics. We recruit on merit, fairness, and open competition in line with the Civil Service Code.
We can only accept applications from those eligible to live and work in the UK – please refer to GOV.UK for information. We require Security clearance, for which you need to have resided in the UK for at least 3 of the last 5 years to be eligible. You will need to achieve full security clearance within your first 6 months with us.